Thursday, May 17, 2012

Bruno


"Does anyone know where the love of God goes
When the waves turn the minutes to hours"

This really happened...

Its early morning in Cape Cod Bay and mighty GRAND ISLE is pounding through 50 knots of wind in waves that eclipse the bridge windows. I am sitting in the Captain's chair on the bridge clutching a cup of coffee (I know that is a stretch for you to believe), but I can't drink it because every time I raise the mug to my lips the ship shutters, shimmies, and jolts like Poseidon himself is tossing us around willy nilly.

The young quartermaster behind me has been seasick multiple times on this watch...I have had it...we are getting crushed and quite honestly for the first time in my career I am a wee bit scared.

I keep telling myself I asked to for this command...whatever...

"Bruno"

"Yes, sir"

"How far to the Gloucester Sea Buoy?" and implied in that question is really how far until we are safe.

"37 nautical miles, sir."

That answer makes ME feel seasick...so I wait, and wait...

Still waiting...

"Bruno"

"Sir"

"Distance" the constant pounding has reduced us to just over monosyllabic conversations

"36.7 miles, sir"

Oh dear, God...

"Bruno"

"Sir"

"Should I stop asking."

"Please, sir"

And that is a no shitter conversation...

No comments:

Post a Comment